Monday, August 25, 2008

Late fragments

     Well, as it turns out, it was too big a day. I came home after class and cried a big snotty mess all over M. Starting to not feel good, persistently. This is upsetting, of course, considering the last CT scan was only a month ago; seems things are happening quickly. 
     I should mention here, because I haven't and because it's dear to me, that we adopted our sweet baby daughter from China in 2003. It was, and is, a miracle of love.
     When I turned to lock the front door behind me tonight, I saw a note affixed to the light switch:
     "Lost is fairy book. It was on my bed." The word "fairy" is written in cursive.
     She is five.
     She is magnificent.
     Late Fragment, R. Carver:
     [And did you get what/ you wanted from this life, even so?/ I did. /And what did you want?/ To call myself beloved, to feel myself/ beloved on the earth.]
     Even so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a wonderful writer and a wonderful mother. The lines from Carver were something I needed very much today. Thank you.

E. said...

BL, thank you. That Carver piece is one of my all time favorites. I'm glad it gave you a lift!
E.

 

Free Hit Counters
Buy.com Promotion Codes