Thursday, September 25, 2008

Train wreck

     I cannot bring myself to look away... The colossal spectacle up the road in Warshin'ton, as SaPa calls it, is stunning and, if it lacked the potential to put us all in the poorhouse, might actually be anthropologically fascinating. 
     Palin was less articulate than a seventh grader in her responses to Katie Couric. She is an insult to small town America, not a reflection of it. As a person who grew up in a rural town of fewer than 300 people (artists, writers, policy wonks, thinkers -- some Democrats, some Republicans -- all engaged) in an area of the South that was (and is) peppered with such hamlets, I take personal umbrage, because I can do that, at the notion that Sarah Palin is remotely representative of Tiny Town USA. She is a fool. If that makes me a condescending elitist, I'll take up that mantle with glee. 
     What's happening on Capitol Hill tonight, after McCain mucked up the works, is too grotesque to ponder. That doesn't stop me from hitting refresh four times an hour at HuffPo, Wonkette, Politico, Washington Post, and NYT. The only possible good I can see coming of any of this is that President Obama will be in the White House to truncate our depression, and our Depression.
     Chemo #2 tomorrow morning. I'm hydrating. 
     Note to self: this weekend, some thoughts on what I have faith in, including people and books, because it feels important at this moment in history to be really clear about that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i want to hear more about this southern hamlet you grew up in. where? and who were these people? and how did they eat? and i mean that in the economic sense. although, on the food point: what did they eat? i bet it was good.

small town America interests me a great deal. in my experience, they are all different, but demographics, economics and climate all play major roles. didn't that guy Russo write some supposedly great novels about small American towns?

 

Free Hit Counters
Buy.com Promotion Codes