Monday, December 1, 2008

A Kerouac kick in the pantaloons

     After all my boo-hooing about not feeling like a real writer (and using the feeling as an excuse to, um, not write), a very kind writer named Manuel sent me this classic Jack Kerouac quote (6/22/47)*:

"Another thought that helps a writer as he works along -- let him write his novel 'the way he'd like to see a novel written'. This helps a great deal freeing you from the fetters of self-doubt and the kind of self-mistrust that leads to over-revision, too much calculation, preoccupation with 'what others would think.' Look at your own work and say, 'This is a novel after my own heart!' Because that's what it is anyway, and that's the point -- it's worry that must be eliminated for the sake of individual force. In spite of all this insouciant advice, I myself advanced slowly today, but not poorly, working on the final draft of the chapter. I'm a little rusty. Oh and what a whole lot of bunk I could write this morning about my fear that I can't write, I'm ignorant and worst of all, I'm an idiot trying to achieve something I can't possibly do. It's in the will, in the heart! To hell with these rotten doubts. I defy them and spit on them. Merde!"

     Misery, meet company.
     And thanks to Manuel, who is working on a book he expects to finish at the end of this month. 
     Off now to work on mine. 'Cause did you know? I'm writing a novel.

* From Windblown World: The Journals of Jack Kerouac 1947 - 1954

3 comments:

Rick Dale, author of The Beat Handbook said...

Thanks for the post!

I encourage you to KEEP GOING! Jack's advice is right on. I wish I had seen it while I was struggling through my book.

Maybe you'd enjoy my blog at www.thedailybeatblog.blogspot.com.

delete said...

Think of it this way: Writer's write. They read and they write. If you're not reading or editing, you're writing. Breathing is involuntary.

Don't remember who told me that, but I tickle keys daily (poetry, a book, corp comm). It never stops if you don't let it.

Keep writing.

E. said...

Rick, congratulations on the book! And I mean all aspects; not only the publication, but everything that went into it.

Tom, I hear this writer's refrain almost daily in my MFA program, particularly in novel workshop; writers write, and they read, and they write.

Writing is my engine. I won't stop writing.

Thanks for the good thoughts,
E.

 

Free Hit Counters
Buy.com Promotion Codes