Saturday, December 13, 2008

Medicine and magic

     The Fentanyl is definitely helping blunt the pain. The cost is full consciousness. Hard to tell yet if part of why I'm sleeping so much is that I'm finally comfortable, or if it's 100% drug-induced. There are other side effects that haven't kicked in yet: all narcotics affect appetite and motility, but apparently there is a new wonder-treatment for that, in the form of an injection. Cause I can't get me enough needles.
     Also saw that the CA125 is, finally, going in the right direction. (That's a blood marker that tends to rise with malignancies, though not reliably. Normal is 0-30. Mine was 60-ish a few months ago, and up to 125 several weeks ago. Yesterday it was back down to 75.) I have been willfully not looking at my CA125, but Dr. J mentioned it on Thursday, and so I peeked at the paperwork after the blood draw yesterday, and even though it is notoriously unreliable -- I mean, like, they tell you not to pay attention to it at all after you've had one round of chemo, and I've had, um, I have no idea how many rounds I've had, ten, maybe? -- it's a spirit-lifter when it's on the way toward normal, like a rainbow, elevating but not substantive, but still, why would they bother counting it if it has no bearing at all? 
     Run-on sentence much?
     A and M are downstairs having an earnest conversation about Christmas tree lights. A keeps using the word "magical," not the schmaltzy kind, but the real-live fairy kind, as in, "I bet those lights are magical." M agrees. I love their voices. 
     

No comments:

 

Free Hit Counters
Buy.com Promotion Codes