Wednesday, December 3, 2008

My body not my body

     Sometimes it's hard to determine if I'm following my body's signals or creating them. It's become a struggle, in the last two to three weeks, to keep a normal schedule. Each day I am a bit more exhausted and uncomfortable than the day before, so I limit my outings, do less, lose stamina, and can handle even less the next day. It's not sleep I crave, it's oxygen, nutrients -- fortification. Something substantial to give me weight, to anchor me to the ground. The sensation I have is that my body is a shell, hard-edged but hollow, and drifting.
     M skipped his own class tonight, left A at home with her sitter, and took me to school. He hung out for three hours while I was in novel workshop, then drove me home. By the time we walked in the door, I felt completely spent: lightheaded, empty, aching. I did nothing all day, literally, in an attempt to store up energy. Marking up manuscripts and writing workshop letters was just ridiculously difficult, draining. I took a shower and had to rest for fifteen minutes before getting dressed -- then had to rest again.
     I catch my image in the bathroom mirror these days and see a woman receding: drawn face, whispy hair, pale eyes. I look sick. I look old and hunkered. I am not old. I wonder if this is how elderly people feel -- is cancer as withering as aging, or more, or less?
     Everyone knows how depleting chemotherapy is. I'd argue, though, that illness itself is the most challenging, the most damaging. It's impossible to feel like the medicine is working when the medicine is making you feel like shit. Or is it the cancer that's beating you up? Is the persistent pain a sign the chemo is not checking the tumor at all, or that the disease is progressing, or possibly both? Fuck all, you see the dilemma.
     Still, fighting through penetrating exhaustion -- there should be a word for this kind of tired -- to do normal things, like going to class, ultimately helps me feel stronger by giving me the illusion of control. Which is all any of us has to begin with.
     Thank God for M.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank God for M indeed. He's got deep reserves. You both do.

 

Free Hit Counters
Buy.com Promotion Codes