Monday, December 8, 2008

My audience of one, or, "Brains can't save her now!"

     It's quite true that being smart, or generous or funny or happy, or pretty or wealthy, or devout or even centered and mature, holds no sway over cancer. Yes, studies show (apparently) that educated people with health insurance have better prognoses than underprivileged people; it sucks five ways from Sunday to be on the wrong side of middle class in this country. But I'm talking about the individual, cellular level here. Cancer doesn't care how well I did on my SATs.
     Which brings me around to that "audience of one" I've been thinking about for a week, since an anonymous commenter posted the provocative idea in response to my extended whine on writing. The connection whacked me in the head by way of a quiet email late last night, barely three days after I'd sent a small batch of poems to the Virginia Quarterly Review: rejection, of course, and not even the typical "though your work shows obvious merit" line they usually give me when they decline my fictions after stewing on them for over a hundred days; I heard the unmistakable sound of the door slam and the lock click on this one. My head spun.
     I like smart; I strive for smart. I want to be in that club so damn bad. Among the literary publications and magazines I submit to, I consider several to be whip-smart: VQR, Paris Review, The Atlantic, Harper's, Boston Review. Certainly there are others I'd love to get into -- Missouri Review, AGNI, Tin House, Ploughshares, actually there are lots of them -- but I am drawn to the first set due to what I perceive as their intellectual prowess. They are on the pulse, taking on the giant issues of the day, publishing thoughtful essays and critiques alongside accomplished fiction and poetry. Politics is more than a fictive theme in these publications; it's a driving force. They have that big-picture perspective that tags them as brainiacs, the ability not only to see societal patterns in individual acts, but to embrace existing in this most unforgiving space, willfully (rather than haphazardly) presenting a cumulative commentary on the world as it turns in the moment. They live outside their own precious heads.
     I suppose it would surprise no one to learn that my parents put a premium on smarts. Or that they were not just politically involved, but prescient, moving their young family from their hometown of Montgomery to Washington, DC in 1965, eschewing the mindset they'd grown up with and making a difficult, determined reach for change, for the future, years before it was even remotely acceptable. They had vision. The acted on it.
     I often wonder, if I'd been born in the Depression-era Deep South and come of age under Jim Crow, if I'd have had the vision and the will my parents demonstrated. I do not believe I would.
     My mother worked on Capitol Hill for Sen. Mike Mansfield's Democratic Policy Committee, got a law degree, and worked at Treasury. A young up-and-coming Washingtonian, everyone said, smart as a whip and ready to do great things. Her trajectory was abruptly reversed by illness; in 1983, she died of cancer. She was 48.
     My father ran an association on alcohol and drug policy, and became an international expert on the failure of prohibition, and an advocate for the disease theory of addiction. He was endlessly gracious and had impeccable manners, but privately, he made it understood that he did not suffer fools gladly. By the end of his life (he died in 2004), he refused to suffer them at all -- it seemed he had little tolerance for most people. I understand that to be a classic pattern of aging, where one becomes more oneself as the years go by.
     Anyway, hard acts to follow. 
     I've spent my life trying to live up to the level of smartitude so clearly valued in my family, and feeling out of my league. Trying to compensate, I stacked up achievements instead, as a kind of proof that I was worthy, that there were brains between those ears, even if, during family trips or holidays, I was the clown. I went to an academically middling but artistically competitive university and won every acting award they gave out. Afterwards, I wormed my way in the back door of a TV newsroom and got hired as a reporter, and scarcely three months later, was promoted to anchor and producer. (I was 22 years old.) Lookit, see me, interviewing the people who make the world go round? Telling other people what's news? I would repeat this pattern twice more, in advertising (copywriter to associate creative director within a year), and in the cradle of intellectualism itself, the University (adjunct to fulltime instructor, even lacking an advanced degree, in one year). 
     All the while, writing. And now, I'm doing what my own mother did, though in a manner decidedly less intellectually robust than law school/Capitol Hill/family: I'm back in school, for an MFA.
     It's pretty clear to me that I'm trying to get my father's ear. There's no way he'd be interested in this novel, but the act of completing a novel itself would impress him. My mother loved fiction and poetry, but I didn't get a chance to know her as a grownup, and so any speculation about what kind of novel she might admire feels fruitless. 
     The motivation behind my achievements thus far has been to prove that I'm smart. I choose smart friends, I married a smart man. I genuinely like smart. Maybe I can write a smart book. The lessons my parents instilled in me help make living artful and worthwhile, but they do not help with simple survival. Where can I go to learn how to fuck with cancer's plan?
     I've heard or read more than one writer say, in effect, that they write in order to save their lives -- in order to live. I like that, but I don't think it works that way. Cancer won't care when VQR comes calling. On the other hand, this weekend I recklessly submitted some stories (and a batch of poems) to a bunch of journals, many which are notoriously slow in responding. Six months is a lifetime; who knows if I'll be in any shape to accept an offer of publication? A small act of hope.
     Meantime, I'm still trying to envision my audience of one. 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry. :( The good news is that you heard back from us really quickly, so although obviously we don't think this batch of poetry was for us, we didn't lock up your poems for weeks or months, so you're free to submit them elsewhere.

FWIW, very few people get the "though your work shows obvious merit" letter. That's not pablum. We mean it.

E. said...

Gah! Waldo, your days must run together like an endless game of whack-a-mole. I don't understand how you manage to root out every mention of VQR on the Interwebs.

Thank you for your kind reply, and for assuring me the "obvious merit" language is sincere. Made my day. I do appreciate the quick turnaround when it's clear the work isn't right for you! Like ripping off a bandage...

Thanks for stopping by,
E.

Anonymous said...

E, Are you sending around that story I read? It was very, very good -- and more people than just me should be reading it.

No matter how you got here or why, you are indeed a writer. xo, L

Anonymous said...

Thought I might see just about every mention of VQR on teh intarwebs, I engage very few of the folks writing about us. You just happen to deserve a response. :)

Anonymous said...

I read a literary publication once. In fact. . . I think it may have been. . . in your house.

Talk about audience of one: that is the audience of most of those pubs. And you're the one! You better get well soon or they're going to effing fold for sure, and we don't need anymore unemployed writer/editors.

Why are you so submission-crazed? Forget about them. Send submissions to me - I'll respond much more colorfully (perhaps even eloquently). If you want to write something that will be read for sure, you should write Christmas recipes, or childcare advice. If you want to write something meaningful, then its acceptance/non-acceptance by various "publications" is irrelevant. Right?

E. said...

Lily, that little story has been out for just about a week, to four or five pubs. Thank you for your encouragement. The ego... the ego... If I lived in a cave I'd seek validation from the walls.

xo
E.

E. said...

Waldo, very glad this vast system of tubes exists for our amusement, though I fear it will soon become jammed -- at which time we'll have to call Joe the Plumber to unclog the mess. Shudder.

I wonder what the sludge would look like.

E.

E. said...

Anon, you're right! I have just about every lit journal worth ink -- VQR, Missouri Review, Paris Review -- and a few I don't quite know how I got (no subscription, surely) -- The Pinch, Nimrod Journal. I even have a start-up (read: obscure) called Makeout Creek. These things, they follow me home from Chop Suey Books.

Yes, you're right about no correlation between readership and meaning. Quite right. But, see, the journals I would like my work to appear in routinely publish moving, meaningful, smart work. I'd like to be in that company.

Besides, I'll never in a trillion years impress you with my jottings, and I'm afraid I'm at the point where, thick-skinned as I am about journal rejections (I have a whole bloody collection), I'll never *not care* if you find them wanting.

M doesn't even read most of my stuff, nor does Hopie.

And we're right back to that audience of one thing, aren't we?

Love,
E.

Anonymous said...

Oh good! Did you send it to Michigan Quarterly Review? I love the editor there -- he's fast and he's smart and he's kind.

E. said...

Lily, I did not send to MQR, though thank you for the tip. I'm going the easiest route possible lately, submitting only to journals that accept electronic subs. Maybe over the holidays I'll put a wiggle in it and get to the P.O. Ugh.

I just realized yesterday that my car has been parked in the same place on the street for two and a half weeks. But I took a shower today!

xo
E.

Unknown said...

Hi, E.,

I'm neither the fastest on the draw, nor even an editor like Waldo, but I just wanted to let you know that flattery will get you everywhere. Drop me a note and I'll do my best to expedite consideration of your work.

Best,

Will Fertman
Advertising and Promotions Director
Boston Review
will@bostonreview.net

dontwannaname said...

I'm not an editor either, and certainly can't speak for M, but just want you to know that perhaps the reason Hopie doesn't read your work is that you don't, ummmmmm...submit it to her.

And maybe she doesn't know it's ready for reading. Or, you know, existing.

xoxo-h

E. said...

Will, thanks! Though the suck-up was inadvertent, the admiration is genuine. Mr. Diaz has already batted back two of my pieces, but there's another in his stack that arrived not quite two weeks ago. Fingers crossed.

H - I should have said, "I don't even show most of my pieces to M, or to Hopie." I'm learning that seasoning a story takes me exponentially more time than writing it to begin with...and I rarely know when a piece is really, truly done.

xo
E.

 

Free Hit Counters
Buy.com Promotion Codes